Step 1: Log in to the system, and switch to root user using the below command.
$ sudo su - Enter the password:
Step 2: Update and upgrade your Ubuntu 20.04 system
For root user
# apt update # apt upgrade # apt dist-upgrade
For other users
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt upgrade $ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Step 3: Run autoremove command to remove all no longer required packages
# apt autoremove
Step 4: Configure release-upgrades file
Configure the release-upgrades file which is located under /etc/update-manager location.
# vi /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
- Make sure that Prompt variable is set to normal.
Step 5: Begin the Ubuntu 20.10 upgrade process
- Run the do-release-upgrade command to start the process.
- It will start extracting the Groovy Gorilla i.e. Ubuntu 20.10 files.
- Type ‘y‘ to continue.
- It will prompt for removing the packages which are not required anymore.
- Type ‘y‘ and hit enter.
Step 6: Reboot the system
- Reboot the system using the command reboot.
- Once the system is back online, check the release using the below command.
# lsb_release -a